In 2014, Maltese citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 166 countries and territories, ranking the Maltese passport 8th in the world (the highest ranking of all the recent new member states of the EU) according to the Visa Restrictions Index.
Malta passport is recognized as official European Passport, recognized as valid travel document in over 166 countries in the countries and maltese citizens can visit these countries with the visa requirements below.
Republic of South Korea
Antigua & Barbuda
St Kitts and Nevis
Brunei Darussalam *
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Federal Republic of Germany
United Arab Emirates
United States *
Traveling for tourism purposes in the USA does not require a visa for a maximum of 90 days on the following conditions:
- One has to travel with a biometric passport.
- One has to fill in an e-form called ESTA at least 72 hrs prior to departure , such information has to be submitted via the US Embassy website: www.malta.usembassy.gov
- Any Maltese national who is still in possession of a valid entry visa on a non biometric passport , can still enter the USA.
- If any of the above mentioned criteria is not met than a Maltese national needs to apply for a US visa
- Only businessmen, students, and missionaries require visa for Colombia and Peru
- Maltese nationals traveling to the SULTANATE of OMAN will be given a visa, valid for a 14 – day visit, upon arrival at Seeb International Airport. They do not require a sponsor from the Sultanate of Oman.
- Visa for the Philippines is not required for a period not exceeding 30
days as long as their passport is valid for more than 6 months and Maltese nationals hold a return flight ticket for
the end of their stay in the Philippines.
- Visa for Taiwan is not required for a period not exceeding 30 days.
- Visa for Brunei Darussalam is not required for a period not exceeding 30 days.
- Visa for Kuwait is issued upon arrival.
- Visa for Nepal is issued on arrival
- Visa for the Dominican Republic is issued on arrival
- Visa for St Kitts and Nevis is applied for online on the following website http://www.gov.kn by clicking on visiting and visitor information respectively. Maltese nationals do not require a visa to visit St Kitts and Nevis for a period of up to 90 days.
- In the case of Turkey only electronic visas will be applied for and can be obtained online on the webpage: www.evisa.gov.tr
- For Mongolia Maltese citizens are exempt from requiring a visa for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days.
- For Kyrgyz Republic Maltese citizens are exempt from requiring a visa for a period not exceeding sixty (60) days.
For more information, please refer to https://foreignaffairs.gov.mt/
Disclaimer: The visa requirements are subjected to change from one country to another. The information above may be outdated, please always check with the Foreign ministry or consulate in your country before travel.